It’s a couple of sleeps before race day. Usually by now, I would have game plan or something that resembles a game plan in place. The route would be checked, the vert calculated, the tough sections noted.
But not this weekend. This weekend something new is on the horizon. Quest Geo. The Killarney crew, Elite Events, have been working hard adapting to the ever changing environment to bring us something new. They have come up with a fun alternative whilst adhering to government guidelines to social distancing.
This weekend, with the help of seasoned adventure racers, have mapped out 9 different routes around country, for anyone who wants to get out and try Adventure racing with a difference.
So what is it you asked?
It’s a self supported adventure “race” that can be completed on either Saturday 8th or Sunday 9th of August in any of 9 locations around Ireland. Each route will have 6-7 stages and should take between 2-5 hours depending on your fitness levels.
Simply you register with Quest and get a phone app. Using this App, You go to the starting location, where you scan a code. Here you will be told the first stage of the route where you will either cycle or run to using the built in GPS. You will then, scan the codes along the route along the way which records times etc and uploads to the system.
Each route has been carefully kept under wraps to this point but will be revealed this evening (Wed 05/08). (We will update this blog accordingly so keep an eye out).
This can be done at your own leisure and is a great way to get some good exercise and training in too for upcoming races.
- Killarney – Gleneagle Hotel
- Kenmare – the Square Kenmare town centre
- Lough Derg – Flanagan’s On the Lake, Ballina
- Achill – Gielty’s Bar & Restaurant Dooagh, Achill Island
- Cork – Mallow Sports Recovery Centre, Mallow
- Carlingford – Carlingford tourist office and car park
- Dublin – Johnie Foxes Pub, Dublin Mountains
- Glendalough – Trooperstown Wood, Laragh, Co. Wicklow
- Wexford – Bunclody?
Cost: €20 + €3 booking fee per event entry.
Included in the registration fee: Access to the app and the particular event plus a €5 discount code to a 2021 Quest event.
- Participants will receive a confirmation email with general details once registered and 3 days before event participants will receive an email containing:
- Link to the Adventure Lab app. The app will have details of the first start checkpoint.
- Map of full specific route PDF.
- Info required for the event and guidelines.
- Participants will start their event when they open the app at their first location on event day.
- The app will have a written description as to how to locate the first checkpoint which is the start point.
- Each checkpoint has a sign securely fixed. The number on this sign needs to be entered on the app to unlock that point and give participants information to proceed to the next checkpoint and so on until all checkpoints have been recorded.
- It is a sequential process – the 2nd checkpoint is not available until the 1st checkpoint is found.
- Participants will not be able to enter the checkpoint code until they are within 20m of the checkpoint. Participants are asked not to physically touch the cards at the checkpoints, and to respect social distancing and practice good coughing etiquette always.
HEALTH & SAFETY NOTICE
Participants are urged to comply with all government advice relating to Covid-19, particularly maintaining social distancing at all times. We are asking you not to congregate. A leader board will be available and one winner from each event shall receive free entry to the standard Quest of their choice in 2021.
For full race details and to register please go directly to the Quest site…