- This event has passed.
The Coalface Trail Duathlon Race
May 25 @ 8:00 am| EUR25
RUN 5.3KM / BIKE 20KM / RUN 2.7KM
For those who love the outdoors and have always wanted to test themselves against the natural terrain then this is your opportunity! With a medium level of training, you could conquer a real challenge.
This course will see you running trails and woodland, cycling a route of rolling north Kilkenny Countryside before finishing on the Park’s path run to the finish. Tackle this as a relay team or solo, have plenty of friends/family enjoy the experience too as all your transitions are in the comforts of the Discovery Park. Wear your medal with pride as you enjoy the post race refreshments!
DUATHLON ROUTE DESCRIPTION
The Start/Finish is in our new Woodland Athlete Village (beside the Canopy Cafe and Elf Village). This counter-clockwise route is a fast downhill on the woodland road before a sharp left brings you straight uphill for almost a Km before entering the woods onto a single track for the next 2km. Plenty of twists and turns and roots underfoot but it’s mostly a flat section. This takes you back onto the Park roads its downhill or flat back to your Bike Transition, helmet on and its out the main Park gates turning left.
Stage 02: Cycle 20km
Leaving the Bike Transition area turn left Exiting Main Park Gate (Bike Mount/Dismount Point) before a quick right turn takes you on a gradual climb for 3km before turning right off the main road. On a narrow road now with you have a nice descent for 2.5km to the river bed. This is twisty in parts, EXTREME care to be taken on bends(Watch for sharp descent at 5km mark, hairpin right bend). After the bridge you are back rising up through the pretty Muckalee Village and beyond for almost 3km. Then flat for 2km. Halfway point and a fast descent marks the start of almost 5km of gradual downhill and back out onto main road turning left. One last climb over 2km before finishing on a 3km downhill coast back to the Park for your final run!
Stage 03: Trail Run 2.7km
Begins with a 300m flat then right up onto the first run route for 1.5km before swinging back left for a fast 800m. Keep something in the tank for the sharp left and the 200m hilly finish! There is NO woodland paths on this route, only solid Park roadway with loose gravel in places.
Competitors Info: Car Park open from 08:00. Registration from 08:30 at Transition. Race Briefing @ 09:45. Race Start 10:00
Unlike other races there is NO BOOKING FEE!
What do I get for my money?
• An exciting, unique, community based event but professionally presented
• Entry with No medal/tshirt is €25pp
• Entry with medal & tshirt is €35pp
• All the Discovery Park Facilities for you and family/Friends as well as discounts for on-the-day Park activities check out www.discoverypark.ie
• Once entered no refunds, transfers or credit can be offered for cancellations for the events.
• There are no road closures for the cycling routes competitors must follow the road traffic laws
• All competitors must follow the prescribed route
• Obey the Park’s environmental policy. Any competitor found littering by race marshals or fellow competitors can be reported and disqualified
• Respect the local environment and our neighbours. Please adhere to our leave no trace policy.
• The Park will be open to the public on the day so respect all those you meet along the route.
• Assist any persons who are in difficulty and report it to closest race marshal
• Competitor’s should enter the Race that suits their level of fitness
• The Race Director’s decision is final
• Competitors must be over 18 yrs
• In the event of inclement weather the organizers have the right to alter the route on the day of the event.