When is registration on race day?
Registration will be open on Saturday 4th May 2019 in St. Joseph’s Hall, Leitrim village (Race HQ) from 10am – 11:45am. Once you register you will receive your T-shirt, race number, chip timing and race information.
When can I rack my bike?
After registering you can bring your bike to Transition 1 at Leitrim Marina (500m from registration) between 10am – 12 noon. Please note no bikes will be allowed into the transition area after 12 noon. Bikes must be collected promptly after the race.
What time does the race start?
Race briefing will take place at 12.30pm. First wave will start at 1pm sharp from Race HQ.
Stage 1 – The race starts at race HQ. Participants will run through Leitrim Village, out the Keadue road, over the canal bridge at Battlebridge, turning right onto The Blueway, crossing over Drumaleague bridge, and back along The Blueway into Leitrim Village.
Stage 2 –1st transition point is at the Waterways Ireland Marina in Leitrim Village (T1) where you kayak 1km up the Shannon – Erne waterway. Turning point is near Lough 16.
Stage 3 – 2nd transition is also at T1 where you transfer from the kayak onto your bike. The course is 27k over a flat terrain on sealed roads, T2 is situated on the first left after lock 13. (Please note this is a change of location from previous years).
Stage 4 – 3rd transition departs T2 – you run along the trail up Sheemore hill around the cross on the summit, taking in the spectacular views before heading back down into T2.
Stage 5 – 4th transition collecting bike from T2 cycle 3k back towards Leitrim Village racking bike at the entrance into Lock 16 (T3) and then sprint the last 500m to the finish (returning to race HQ).
Race format distance breakdowns
1k kayak or 750m SUP
3.5k trail run
What do I get for my entry fee?
· Tech T-shirt
· Race number and chip timing
· Kayaks with safety gear for the water section with trained water safety team
· Chip timing in place where you can view a full list of results after the race
· Hot food, snacks and refreshments
· Showers for participants
· Fully supervised transition areas
· Fully marshaled on routes for your safety with Order of Malta on sections of the course
· Leitrim’s warmest welcome
What do I need?
· A bit of determination to get around the course
· Runners / trail shoes
· Bicycle helmet
· Bike repair kit for cycling section
When can I see my results and are splits available?
Your progress is measured with Championship Ireland Timing you will be able to view a full list of results with splits after the race.
· LIFE JACKET and safety gear provided must always be worn on the water at all times
· A proper CYCLING HELMET must be worn for the bike legs. NO HELMET = NO RACE
· No headphones permitted
Bike choices in terms of Speed:
· A triathlon bike would probably be fastest choice for this course.
· A road bike (racer) will be slightly slower for this course.
· A mountain bike with slick tyres would be slower.
· A mountain bike with knobbly tyres would be slowest of all.
Are there water stops on the course?
Water stops will be at Transition points only, participants are advised to bring water and also have water/drink left on your bike.
Is first aid available on the course?
Yes, volunteers will be available at certain points along the course.
What happens at the finish?
There will be hot food and refreshments available beside the finish line in St. Joseph’s Hall.
Please obey the race organizers, race marshals, and An Garda Síochánn
Blueway adventure race will have a leave no trace policy in place
· Each competitor is required to dispose of their waste, properly. We ask all competitors to please take their own rubbish home with them.
· If a competitor is found to be littering they will be disqualified from the race.
· We also ask that you use a reusable bottle for your liquids to cut down on plastic waste.
· If you must dispose of any waste we ask that you use our bins properly, which will be located at finish area.
Are spectators welcome?
Spectators are very welcome at Blueway adventure race. There will be several spectator sites along the route your support will be much appreciated by the competitors.