- This event has passed.
Gaelforce – Womens Adventure Race Wicklow
August 19, 2017 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm| €45.00
WOMEN’S ADV RACE WICKLOW 19 AUGUST 2017
SORRY LADS. THIS ONE IS ALSO JUST FOR THE LADIES.
FEEL LIKE A SECOND CHANCE?
Did you take the July women’s race in Galway by storm and you want that feeling back again? Or maybe you missed that one and really want the chance to show how amazing you are? Then this is the one.
CREATED BY WOMEN
We are the Gaelforce women and we have created this race for us and for you. It is no less of a challenge and therefore no less of an achievement than our other races.
Hmmm…cheerleaders, child-minders, handbag-holders for the day. Yes that will do.
ADVENTURE DUATHLON – 24KM
STAY ON DRY LAND! Same magnificent course, just without the kayak section.
SEE IT THROUGH TO THE FINISH. WE ARE STRONG WOMEN.
THE BREAKDOWN OF DISCIPLINE DISTANCES WITHIN THE TOTAL 24.5KM COURSE:
1. Running/walking: 10km approx 2. Cycling: 14km approx 3. Kayaking: 0.5km max
THE DETAILED BREAKDOWN:
The first run begins at the bike transition (bike drop) at the Upper Dam on the Upper Reservoir. It then continues south along the path to Waters Bridge. You will then join the path around the Lower Reservoir making your way in a loop back to Waters Bridge and back to the Upper Reservoir where the kayaking will take place. The lakeside paths (the majority of the run) are flanked by trees and the terrain consists of woodland trails but they are rough in places and watch out for brambles. The run is quite flat and very pretty with fantastic views across the water in all directions.
STAGE 2: KAYAK (0.5KM)
The kayaks will be 2 person sit-on-tops so grab a partner (the next competitor to you if racing alone) and take to the water. You will kayak approximately 0.5km in a looped course in the Upper Reservoir.
STAGE 3: CYCLE (14KM)
The cycle follows the roads outside the reservoir. It starts with a short stretch on the R765 before turning right along the east side of the lower reservoir. It then joins the R764, turning right at Ballyduff cross roads. Two more right turns bring the route back to Roundwood and into the final bike drop at the Roundwood AFC. The cycle is mostly along quiet country roads and has a slight elevation. For information on what bike to use read our FAQ section.
STAGE 4: RUN (0.25KM)
Competitors will run the last short stretch from the bike drop to the finish line in Roundwood AFC.
ADVENTURE DUATHLON – 24KM
The course is the same as above, just without the kayak section.
PRICING & INFO
ADVENTURE RACE AND ADVENTURE DUATHLON
ENTRY IS ONLINE ONLY AND IS NOW OPEN
€45.00pp Until 17:00 January 31st 2017 (Early Bird)
€50.00pp Until 15:00 August 11 2017
€60.00pp On the day August 19 2017 (cash only)
All online prices shown exclude €4.50 booking fee.
GROUP BOOKINGS DISCOUNT:
Book 10 competitors and get the 11th person free – email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to organise your discount.
Please note: This discount is only available after the early bird discount ends (Jan 31st 2017).
Online entry closes at 15:00 on Friday 18 August 2017
You must be over 18 years of age on the day of the race to enter.
ENTRY FEE INCLUDES:
- Event technical t-shirt
- Race medal upon completion
- Use of kayaks, paddles and buoyancy aids
- Use of individual electronic timing chips
- Post-event food from John West!
Please note t-shirts are ordered 4 weeks in advance of the race. Entries after this may have to have t-shirt posted out.
To be confirmed
RACE START TIME:
To be confirmed
For more information see our Race FAQs
Sign up for event photography during registration to avail of a special discounted price of €4.95 for 2 photos (normal price €8.60)
Think you cannot do an adventure race? Let us convince you otherwise with 5 very good reasons why we think you can:
1. Less than 10km of running/walking – Ha! We know you would hardly get out of bed for any less…
2. Cycle for pleasure – ok 14km sounds like a terribly long way and you have just been running but you know what, with lots of friendly faces and pretty scenery around you, you will hardly notice.
For more information on bike choice for the Women’s Adventure Races go to our Race FAQs
3. The kayak course is short and looped – so you are never far from the shore, you will have a buddy in the kayak with you and there is lots of safety cover.
Again in 2017 – choose to do the ADVENTURE DUATHLON and you will be skipping the kayak section but still completing a super challenge!
4. You fit the profile of an adventure racer – Yes you do, believe it or not. Check out our media gallery to see that our entrants include every woman.
5. Most important reason: the life-changing reason – Do it for yourself or for someone else; do it to celebrate, to remember or to forget.
Still not convinced? Read our First Timer Blog and you will be signing up before you know it!
Here are the best locations to view competitors from:
- Finish line at Roundwood AFC
- Kayaking section and bike transition at the Upper Varty Resrvoir
RESULTS & REPORTS
Trophies for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place and free entry into next year’s race for 1st place.
Trophy for 1st place in the Adventure Duathlon.
Trophies for category winners (Vets & Super-Vets)
And of course a whole heap of pride and glory!