S2S EVENT INFO
Westport Sea 2 Summit takes place on Saturday 11th November. The adventure race is a unique event based in the adventure capital of Ireland, Westport. The race incorporates all the thrills that Westport has to offer; Croagh Patrick, Clew Bay, the Sheaffry Mountains and the new Greenway.
Westport Sea2Summit is organised and run by the Westport Plaza & Castlecourt Hotel Resort under the guidance of Race Director, Paul O ‘Brien of Boot Camp West.
There will be two separate races with three categories in both, which will include a mix of road running, cycling, and a mountain hike.
The Sea2Summit Spirit will cater for the participant that wants a challenge but has not taken part in adventure racing before. Duration time for the fastest will be 2.5 – 3hrs.
The Sea2Summit Supreme is for the participant who wants an extra challenge. The hike up and down the front face of Croagh Patrick (Murrisk) will hurt the legs and the back breaking ramps at the Maum climb will definitely test your bike and quad muscles.
Duration time for the elite athletes will be around 3.5hrs.
In these two races, there are 3 categories to choose from:
You will be asked when registering which category you would like to be in. We ask people to enter themselves into a category so that they will be competing alongside competitors of the same standard.
The S2S Supreme Course
The event begins at the Westport Plaza & Castlecourt Hotel Resort.
Stage 1 Participants will run up Distillery Road on to the new Greenway and follow the Greenway to Westport Quay. (4km)
Stage 2 The 1st Transition Point is at Roman Island there you change on to your bike and follow the road out via the coast to Murrisk (8k) to Croagh Patrick car park. ( Transition 2)
Stage 3 Changing shoes again to climb Croagh Patrick (5k) which is widely known and we are using the most used side for the race. At the top we urge that you take care on the descent as the loose shale is dangerous and numerous accidents have occurred there in the past.
Stage 4 Returning to Croagh Patrick Car Park to pick up your bike and take on the rolling hills. Taking the main road to Louisburgh turning at Kilsallagh for Drummin where the steep climb of the Maum awaits you; recommended gearing on your bike is 39×27 its 25% in places, through Drummin village and on to Liscarney where it’s all downhill back to Roman Island transition point.
Stage 5 The last section could be the hardest, with a 4 km run to include an obstacle course and sea run, returning to Westport Town via the Greenway, finishing at the Fairgreen overlooking the Mall River.
THE S2S SPIRIT COURSE
The S2S Spirit Course is similar with the same first run and bike but the hike up Croagh Patrick only goes as far as the ridge (3k) and then descends to the car park leaving out the torches Cone. The Cycle home is also reduced to 8km.
WHAT ARE THE DISTANCES BREAKDOWN FOR S2S
The S2S Spirit
- 4k run
- 8k cycle
- 3k Mountain run (Croagh Patrick) at half distance (1.5K) and at bottom (3K),
- 11k cycle
- 4k run with sea run (depending on tide times).Total distance 30km
The S2S Supreme
- 4k run
- 8k cycle
- 5k Mountain run (Croagh Patrick) at half distance(2.5k) and at bottom (5k)
- 35k cycle hilly cycle at (14K) and end of cycle
- 4k run with sea run (depending on tide times).Total distance 56km
Rules of the Road and All Instructions from race marshals and Gardai must be obeyed at all times.
Click here to view the Town Map
Safety Information – What you need to know before you climb: Click Here
Westport Sea 2 Summit would like to share the ethos of care on Croagh Patrick.
• We would like to acknowledge and thank the landowners in their support for the Sea2Summit Adventure Race.
• We acknowledge that Croagh Patrick is a place of pilgrimage and must be respected by all competitors
• We are asking all competitors to by all means familiarize themselves with the route but we respectfully ask that they do not to use the mountain as a training ground in the build up to the events
• Westport Sea 2 Summit would like to promote an environmental policy on the mountain ; on our website we will encourage competitors to take your litter with you, “What you bring up you must bring down!”