The Coalface Adventure Race
September 26 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm| EVENT CANCELLED
This is a single day Adventure Duathlon. Based in a former coal mine you will be running and cycling up to four sections, combining running trail, forest track, hills and an abandoned open cast mine. The cycle sections are on sealed tarmac roads of varying quality, from primary roads to quiet country lanes. With a choice of two different courses there is one for you to pit yourself against.
We are fortunate to have the picturesque Discovery Park as the central transition point for each section of the race. In this way you will always loop back to facilities and supporters who will get to spur you on throughout the race without them having to leave the comfort of the Park.
The Park has a huge range of activities open for any active family members including a massive Zip-wire, tree-top walks, playground and a woodland Cafe!
Changes for 2019
- The Start and Finish Area has moved! It will be deep in the Woodland at the Canopy Cafe and Elf Village. It is approx 500m from the Bike racking/transition. This area has Registration, Post Race Food, Massage, Bag Drop, Covered seating, toilets, a hot food Cafe, kids activities (see www.discoveypark.ie for details).
- The 20km Cycle Route has been changed. Still a challenge but turns left at the Park Exit, avoiding the busy centre of Castlecomer Town and uses quieter back roads with two hilly sections (see route description).
- The 2nd Cycle for The Elite and Sport Race’s is the reverse route of last year (Please note when reviewing route maps).
- The Finish line is 500metres from Bike transition for The Sport and The Elite Options.
56KM TOTAL DISTANCE
An endurance sapping combination. Don’t be fooled into thinking this is easy on paper. At 56km it is the longest Sport Course in the Country! A good level of fitness it required and completion will be the name of the game for many, especially if it is wet. Your Coalface T-shirt will hang with pride.
Breakdown of 56km Sport Course:
Stage 1 – Trail/Forest Run 5km
Stage 2 – Cycle 20km (New Route)
Stage 3 – Forest/Quarry/Trail 7km.
Stage 4 – Cycle 25km (Reverse of 2017 Route)
NOTE: There will be a 500m run from Bike to the Finish Line in the woods
30KM TOTAL DISTANCE
For those who love the outdoors and have always wanted to test themselves against the natural terrain then this is your opportunity! With a medium level of training (see The CoalFace Training Blog) you could conquer a real challenge across this course that will see you running trails and woodland, cycling a route of rolling north Kilkenny Countryside before finishing with a trail and woodland path run to the finish. Tackle this as a team or solo, have plenty of friends/family enjoy the experience too as all your transitions are in the comforts of the Discovery Park. Wear your medal with pride as you enjoy the post race refreshments!
Breakdown of 30km Challenge (Solo or Team):
Stage 1 Trail/Forest Run 5km
Stage 2 Cycle 21km
Stage 3 Woodland Pathway/Trail Run 4km
What do I get for my money? Unlike other Adventure Races there is NO BOOKING FEE!
• An exciting, unique, community based event but professionally presented
• All the Discovery Park Facilities for you and family/Friends as well as discounts for on-the-day Park activities check out www.discoverypark.ie
• Free Secure Parking in the Discovery Park (Normally €4 per car)
• High quality Technical Running Top
• A generous Coalface Goody Bag with snacks and drinks
• A Coalface Finishers Medal uniquely designed by visual artist Mick Minogue (@MickMinogueMadeThis)
• Hot food and drink to refuel when you cross the line
• Fully marshalled and signed routes
• Insurance and Accident/Medical Response Team
• Sports Massage available
This is a Not for Profit Community Event. The Castlecomer Discovery Park is a registered Charity. Any funds raised by The Coalface go directly back into the development of the Park.