- This event has passed.
The Beast Adventure Race
May 30 - June 2| Eur1500
Since moving the event to the North West in 2017, the Beast Team has learned many lessons and is keen to run the toughest and most rewarding race on the Irish adventure racing calendar. The Beast will once again feature on the Adventure Racing European Series (ARES) in 2019.
1. Challenge the best teams in Ireland and Europe across all disciplines of Adventure Racing.
2. Provide an opportunity for less seasoned teams and newcomers to the sport to progress their Adventure Racing skills. This will be achieved with short course options on most stages.
3. Prepare teams to compete at the highest level internationally.
4. Design race stages which carefully and responsibly show off some of the most beautiful and rugged scenery Ireland has to offer.
5. Provide online coverage for supporters and spectators worldwide to follow teams through the race, as well as experience what the landscape has to offer.
Race details: Overview
DATES: 30th May – 2nd June 2019
DISTANCE: approx. 400 km
COUNTRY/REGION: Ireland/North West
RACE HQ: Clayton Hotel, Sligo Town
COURSE OPEN: 2.5 days (60 hours)???
WINNING TIME: 2 days (48 hours), starting on Fri 31st May
ENTRY FEE: €1,500 per team ???
ENTRIES OPEN: 17th December 2018 ??ENTRIES CLOSED: 30th March 2019
DISCIPLINES: Mountain Bike, Trail Run/Trek, Kayak (Sit-on-top), Navigation, Swim(?), Ropes(?)
CATEGORIES: Mixed Teams 4 (competitive), Male Teams 4, Female Teams 4. (No limit on overall number of teams)
WATERCRAFT: Kayaks and kayak equipment provided
MANDATORY EQUIPMENT: YES – the ARWS standard list
RULES: YES – the ARWS standard rules??
INCLUDED IN ENTRY FEE:
1. 2 nights Bed and Breakfast for the entire team in 4-star accommodation (Thurs 30th May and Sun 2nd Jun) in the Clayton Hotel, Sligo Town (Race HQ). Accommodation includes kitchenette for race food preparation.
(Note that accommodation is only guaranteed for the first 15 teams entered)
2. Logistical support throughout the race
3. Airport transfers for overseas teams from Dublin Airport. Details TBC.
4. Maps and race booklet
5. GPS live tracking and online support
6. Medical assistance
7. Post-race dinner at prize-giving function
8. Memories to last a life-time ?
We understand it can be difficult to get teams together and that there are athletes out there who would like to give it a go. Please feel free to contact the Beast team (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we may be able to help fit you with the right team or point you in the right direction.
Registration details will be announced online in the coming weeks – get your team together for 2019!
Race time: Approx. 48hrs for winning team. Race time may be extended for slower teams (approx 6 hours)
Race Distance: Approx total race distance TBC with short course option of TBC.
Prizes: This event is only run because of volunteers and in the absence of a major sponsor prizes will be limited.
* single sex teams will compete on the same course but will be entered into a separate class, and cannot be the outright winners.
- 1 X Set of Maps OSI & Orienteering Maps (all supplied by event)
- 2 X Indelible felt tip pen
- 2 X Mobile phone (with dry bags). These will be sealed before event start and should only be used in the event of an emergency
- 1 X First aid kit (1crepe bandage, 1 triangle bandage, 2 safety pins, 1 wound dressing & 6 adhesive dressings as a minimum)
- 1 X Bike repair kit (at least sufficient to repair puncture and broken chains)
- 2 X Compass
- 1 X 4 person Tent (NOT TO BE CARRIED)(must be suitable for all 4 team members, 2 * 2 person tents are also acceptable)
- 1 X bothy Shelter big enough for your entire team, and to be carried on all stages. (don’t try to cramp all 4 into a 2 person shelter, your life may depend on it)
- 1 X Bike lock (large enough to lock 4 bikes together)
- 1 X Large Kit Bag
- 1 X Mountain bike
- 1 X Front bike light (a good head torch will do)
- 1 X Rear bike light (must be fitted to the bike at all times)
- 1 X Head Torch
- 1 X Spare batteries for all lights
- 1 X Cycle helmet
- 1 X Whistle
- 1 X Space blanket/bag (foil or orange type)
- 1 X Full leg cover (must be carried if not worn)
- 1 X Spare Long Sleeved Top
- 1 X Waterproof Coat
- 1 X Waterproof Trousers
- 1 X Rucksack
- 1 X Wetsuit (Full length arms and legs, suitable for coasteering/caving type activities, good strong footwear also recommended for this section)
- GPS devices. Includes devices that show your position, display maps, distance traveled etc. (excludes GPS trackers provided by the organizers).
- Distance measuring devices such as foot pod accelerometers and pedometers. (cycle computers exempt)
- Mobile phones, radios, other communications or internet access devices etc.(excluding the compulsory emergency phone sealed prior to the race).
- Maps other than those provided by the organizers (specifically from race start to crossing the finish line).
- Firearms, night/ nocturnal vision devices.
- Fins during any swim section.
- Sails during any kayak section.
KIT BAGS & TRANSPORT
A net bag will be supplied to each team for wet gear (wet suits etc.). These will be transported to the transitions areas of the race. Exact details will be contained in the race booklet which you will get when you sign on for the event.
Each team member will need to supply their own sturdy duffel bag (if possible a waterproof one) to carry general kit like dry clothes, change of shoes, tent etc. We will transport these bags.
All 4 team members will need a mountain bike in good working order; it will be your teams call on what type of tyres and pedals you use on each of them. The route will use a wide verity of surfaces from good roads to man-made single track trails. If you choose to use SPD’s you may have to carry your own running shoes at some stage. Rear lights must be fitted at all times and used during poor weather and night.
We will supply and transport all kayaks, paddles and buoyancy aids. Kayaks used will be 2 person sit-on-tops. Teams may bring their own backrests and paddles if they want, these need to be clearly marked with your team number.
Teams should be prepared for a range of riding including single track, steep hills, gravel roads and sealed roads.
Will involve travelling by foot through rugged and diverse terrain. The Irish hills can be wet and boggy in places.
Could include abseiling, traversing, ascending etc.
teams will be required to cross rivers, lakes or coastal sections. For swim sections all members of each team must swim, PFD’s will be available if you feel you need one, and may be mandatory on some sections.
kayaks will be provided by race organizers. Kayaking may be on inland rivers, sea or lakes. Generally kayaking will be permitted during both day and night. Some of the rivers may have weirs. Teams will be advised in advance about any obstacles.
orienteering is an extremely important part of the race. The course is not marked and teams are required to navigate using maps.
as always you should expect some surprises, and special tasks
- Teams will get one full set of maps which will be A3 in size and have the control points overprinted onto them, with the aid of the route book which will contain all relevant route information teams will have to plot their route between control points except in some cases where we will have a mandatory route already marked.
- Waterproofing of main race maps is essential and is the teams responsibility
- Stationary to prepare route on map is needed. Different colours pens, tape, scissors etc.
- Maps will not be replaced if team misplaces maps
Ordnance Survey Ireland
The Beast is priviledged to use some of the best maps in the world thanks to the wonderful people at Ordnance Surney Ireland. OSI will be providing the main race maps, these will be 1:50000 scale. (Discovery Series). Samples and details of these maps can be found on the Ordance Survey Ireland website
Teams will also be supplied with local orienteering maps during certain sections of the event these will be overprinted with controls and waterproofed. Again samples and details of these maps can be found on the www.oreinteering.ie website